Composer, orchestrator and conductor, Academy Award winner, Alexandre Desplat, eight-time Academy Award and WSAward Nominee, with over hundred scores and numerous awards to his credit is one of the most worthy heirs of the French film scoring masters.
A true cinephile, his approach to film composition is not only based on his strong musicality, but also on his understanding of Cinema, which allows him to intimately communicate with directors. Inspired by the works of Maurice Jarre, Bernard Herrmann, Nino Rota and Georges Delerue, he expressed his desire to compose for cinema early on but really made his decision after listening to John Williams’ score to Star Wars.
Raised in a musical and cultural mix with a Greek mother and French father who studied and were married in California, he grew up listening to the French symphonists Ravel and Dey and how to adapt carefully his music to actors' performances. He scored successful movies such as Girl With the Pearl Earring, The Queen, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Coco Before Chanel, The King’s Speech, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Pt. II, The Imitation Game, The Ides of March & The Monuments Men.
- Film Composer of the Year 2014: Alexandre Desplat (The Grand Budapest Hotel; Godzilla; The Monuments Men; Venus in Fur; Philomena; Zulu; Marius)
- Best Original Film Score of the Year 2014: The Grand Budapest Hotel (by Alexandre Desplat)
- Soundtrack Composer of the Year 2012:Alexandre Desplat (A Better Life; Largo Winch II; The King’s Speech; The Tree of Life; La fille du puisatier; Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1; Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II)
- Soundtrack Composer of the Year 2010: Alexandre Desplat (Julie & Julia; Fantastic Mr Fox; The Ghost Writer; The Twilight Saga - New Moon; Tamara Drewe)
- Best Original Soundtrack of the Year 2010: Fantastic Mr. Fox (by Alexandre Desplat)
- Soundtrack Composer of the Year 2009: Alexandre Desplat (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button; Coco avant Chanel; Largo Winch; Chéri)
- Best Original Soundtrack of the Year 2009: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (by Alexandre Desplat)
- Soundtrack Composer of the Year 2007:Alexandre Desplat (The Queen; The Painted Veil)