Jóhann Jóhannsson wins posthumous World Soundtrack Award for Best Film Composor
The annual World Soundtrack Awards have been given out during the 45th edition of Film Fest Gent in Belgium tonight. The winners of the 18th WSAwards include Jóhann Jóhannsson, Ramin Djawadi, Kendrick Lamar, Rutger Reinders, Tamar-kali, Laurent Eyquem, Logan Nelson and Philippe Sarde, who received the Lifetime Achievement Award.
The Icelandic composer Jóhann Jóhannsson won Best Film Composer of the Year for a second time in a row, this year posthoumosly, for composing the film score of ‘Mandy’, ‘Mary Magdalene’ (co-composed with Hildur Guðnadóttir), and ‘The Mercy’. His protégé and co-composer Hildur Guðnadóttir received the prize on his behalf. Best Television Composer of the Year was awarded to Ramin Djawadi for scoring ‘Game of Thrones’; ‘The Strain’ and ‘Westworld’.
The Award for Best Original Song Written Directly for a Film went to 'Black Panther' by Kendrick Lamar, Kevin Gomringer, Tim Gomringer, Solana I. Rowe (aka SZA), Matt Schaeffer, Mark Anthony Spears and Anthony Tiffith. Discovery of the Year winner is 'Mudbound' composer Tamar-kali, which was her first score for a feature film. She will be featured as a performer at the 19th World Soundtrack Awards in 2019.
In the category Best Original Score for a Belgian Production, Rutger Reinders was awarded for his score for 'Zagros' by Sahim Omar Kalifa, winner of the Grand Prix for Best Film of the 44th Film Fest Gent in 2017. Composer Logan Nelson received the SABAM Award for the Most Original Composition by a Young International Composer, while The Public Choice Award was given to Laurent Eyquem for scoring Mark Pellington's film ‘Nostalgia’.
As previously announced, Philippe Sarde was celebrated with the Lifetime Achievement Award. The French composer is widely known for his varied repertoire going from impressive symphonic work to pure jazz. During his career, Sarde worked with renowned directors such as Claude Sautet, Bertrand Tavernier, Yves Boisset, André Téchiné, Roman Polanski, Jean-Jacques Annaud, Marco Ferreri, Jacques Doillon and even Robert Bresson.
- Best Film Composer of the Year: Jóhann Jóhannsson ‘Mandy’; ‘Mary Magdalene’ (co-composed met Hildur Guðnadóttir); ‘The Mercy’
- Best TV Composer of the Year: Ramin Djawadi ‘Game of Thrones’ (S7); ‘The Strain’ (S4); ‘Westworld’ (S2)
- Best Original Song written directly for a Film: Black Panther van 'Black Panther'. Muziek & tekst door Kendrick Lamar, Kevin Gomringer, Tim Gomringer, Solana I Rowe (SZA), Matt Schaeffer, Mark Anthony Spears & Anthony Tiffith. Uitgevoerd door Kendrick Lamar.
- Discovery of the Year 2018: Tamar-kali voor ‘Mudbound’
- Best Original Score for a Belgian Production: ‘Zagros’ door Rutger Reinders
- SABAM Award For The Most Original Composition By a Young International Composer: Logan Nelson
- Public Choice Award: ‘Nostalgia’ door Laurent Eyquem