WSA Industry Programme
What can you expect?
Film Music Seminar
The Film Music Seminar is the ideal opportunity to gain insight into the methodology and artistry of a seasoned professional. The seminar is a collaboration between Film Fest Ghent and KASK and is aimed at (film)music or sound design students to better understand the creative bond between filmmaker, composer and/or sound designer.
Music in nature documentaries with Bruno Coulais, Dirk Brossé and Nainita Desai
- Music for Film: Marco Beltrami & Michaël R. Roskam (2019)
- Sound Mixing and Editing: Carter Burwell & Skip Lievsay (2018)
- Jazz Music in Film: David Shire, Walter Murch, Joe Kraemer & Terence Blanchard (2017)
- Music for Film / TV / Documentary: Jeff Beal, Jeff Russo, Ryuichi Sakamoto, Johan Grimonprez & Karsten Fundal (2016)
- British Film Music: George Fenton, Craig Armstrong, Daniel Pemberton (2015)
- French Film Music: Thierry Jousse & Bruno Coulais (2014)
- Music for Films: team work? with Dirk Brossé, Rachel Portman & Dario Marianelli (2013)
- Sound Design with Michel Schöpping (2012)
- Sound Design and Editing with Walter Murch (2011)
- Collaboration Between Composer & Filmmaker: Stephen Warbeck (2010)
- Composing for Asian Cinema with Shigeru Umebayashi (2009)
- An Audiovisual Symbiosis: Gabriel Yared & Anthony Minghella (2008)
- The Relation Between Film Music & Sound: Mychael Danna, Steve Munro & Annabelle Pangborn (2007)
- Film Music & Emotion? Willem Thijssen, Simon Lenski, Frank Duchêne, Johan Hoogewijs, Tom Kestens & Geoffrey Enthoven (2006)
- Music or No Music? Larry Sider, Mart Van den Burken, Eavesdropper, Michael Weilacher, Silvia Defrance, Hans Spilaert, Frodo Kuipers (2005)
- Johnny Jewel, Nico Leunen & Fien Troch
A conversation between Chromatics frontman Johnny Jewel (Drive, Home), Nico Leunen (Ad Astra, Beautiful Boy, Broken Circle Breakdown, Home) and Fien Troch (Kid, Home).
- David Lowery & Daniel Hart
Director David Lowery and composer Daniel Hart will soon be celebrating their 15th anniversary (Ain't Them Bodies Saints, A Ghost Story).
- Changing the Face of "The Composer": Alliance for Women Film Composers with Catherine Joy (composer and President of the AWFC), Daisy Coole (composer and AWFC Board Member), Daniel Hart (composer) and Nainita Desai (composer).
- Buyouts and other unfair contractual practices: what prospects for the Belgian composer?
- Film Composer & Film Producer: Balancing a Budget
- The World Soundtrack Award nominees for Film Composer of the Year and TV Composer of the Year
- The World Soundtrack Award nominees for Discovery of the Year
- The World Soundtrack Award nominees for the Public Choice Award
- Johnny Jewel, Nico Leunen & Fien Troch
- Music and Sound Design in Games by Alex Otterlei
- Entering the Film Music Marketplace by Lesley Jackson
- How a Business Frustrates Its Creatives by Stephan Eicke
- Belgian Soundtracks on Vinyl (Pool Needle and Sonhouse Records)
- Rights & Royalties in Game Music with Wim Coryn (Wild Cherry Consult), Pablo Schwilden Diaz (Demute), Olivier Maeterlinck & David Hutsebaut (Sabam), Alex Otterlei (DAE Howest) and Austin Wintory
- InMICS Composers Lab with Samya Papasoff, Filip Rathé, Görkem Ağar, Yi-Jia Chen, Sandro Manzon
- Sketching with Music: Clara Sola with Ruben De Gheselle & Natalie Álvarez Mesén
Standing out as an artist in the contemporary film music industry with WSA Nominees Susan DiBona & Salvatore Sangiovanni (Bad Habits Die Hard), Benji Merrison (SAS: Red Notice), Amelia Warner (Wild Mountain Thyme), Gavin Brivik (Wild Indian), Florencia Di Concilio (Calamity, une enfance de Martha Jane Cannary), Anthony Willis (Promising Young Woman), Carlos Rafael Rivera (The Queen's Gambit), Emile Mosseri (Minari)
- Alexandre Desplat
- Composing for Screen with Dirk Brossé, Alexandre Desplat and Gabriel Yared
- Composer Diversity: Michael Abels (Discovery of the Year 2019), Lolita Ritmanis (2020 WSA nominee for Public Choice) and WSAcademy members Diego Baldenweg with Nora Baldenweg & Lionel Baldenweg and Nainita Desai
- Showcase by SPITFIRE AUDIO
- Introduction on Immersive Sound by Auro Technologies
- Who's Who in the International Film (music) Industry by Lucy Bright (MUSIC SALES)
- Masterclass 'Orchestration & building your own sound ID' by composer Florencia di Concilio
- 'What's publicity and how should one take advantage of it?' by publicist Chandler Poling (White Bear PR)
- Scoring for New (interactive) Media with video game composers Joe Henson & Alexis Smith aka 'The Flight' (Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey) and Brian D'Oliveira (Resident Evil 7 & Shadow of the Tomb Raider)
- The Reality of Rejected Scores with Robert Townson (Varèse Sarabande)
- The Craft of Music Supervision in association with the UK & European Guild of Music Supervisors with music supervisors Amelia Hartley (Peaky Blinders & Black Mirror), Catherine Grieves (You Were Never Really Here, London Spy, Les Misérables) and Lucy Bright (Assassin's Creed, Marjorie Prime), moderated by Air Edel's Maggie Rodford
- The Work Flow between filmmaker, composer and editor with Alain Dessauvage (editor Girl & Bullhead) moderated by musician Oliver Patrice Weder
Meet & Greet
Each year Film Fest Gent organises a short press conference and a Meet and Greet with the invited guests of honour and nominated WSA composers. This is your chance to meet your favourite film composers!