Panel Talks & Masterclasses
Our annual WSA industry programme consists of several panels and masterclasses, bringing together the film music community for interesting conversations and to discuss hot topics related to composing for screen.
Music and Sound Design in Games by Alex Otterlei
Wednesday 20 October - 13:00 - Kinepolis
Alex Otterlei pioneered the art of writing soundtracks for role-playing games, to international acclaim. As a composer and sound designer he worked on games such as Xyanide and the Divinity series from Larian Studios in Ghent. He is currently teaching Sound Design, Foley and Voice Directing for Games, as part of the Audio Major which he helped create at Digital Arts and Entertainment in Kortrijk. In this masterclass, he will delve deeper into the importance of composing music for games, the task of a sound designer in a game studio and what the requirements are to work as a sound designer in the games industry.
Entering the Film Music Marketplace by Lesley Jackson
Thursday 21 October - 13:30 - Kinepolis
Lesley Jackson established UK Film Music in 2019 following many years representing & managing prominent and award-winning composers from the UK and mainland Europe. Earlier this year Lesley was one of the judges of the prestigious Berlin International Film Scoring Competition (BIFSC) and in August will be a key contributor to 'FUSION', Thessaloniki Film Scoring workshops. In this masterclass she will share some tips and tricks on how to enter the film music market as a beginning film composer.
How a Business Frustrates Its Creatives by Stephan Eicke
Thursday 21 October - 15:30 - Kinepolis
As editor-in-chief of film music magazine Cinema Musica and producer for the record label Caldera Records Stephan Eicke has noticed how composers working in media have started to voice their concern about their working conditions. Via exclusive interview excerpts with composers such as Mychael Danna and Marco Beltrami, he will discuss in his masterclass the increased pressure on creatives, decreasing payments, the stress that comes with digital editing, and the necessity to work with ghost writers in order to get a job done in time.
Launch: Belgian Soundtracks on Vinyl
Guests: founders Pool Needle & Sonhouse Records, composer Raf Keunen (Bullhead), director Gilles Coulier en composer Liesa Van der Aa (Cargo), composer Jimmy Dewit (Callboys) en creators Dominique Van Malder en Wannes Destoop (Albatros).
Wednesday 20.10 - 10:00 - Kinepolis 8
Language: Nederlands / Dutch
In 2021 two brand-new record labels for homegrown film music entered the stage: Pool Needle and Sonhouse Records. Both labels will be launched during Film Fest Gent! At 10:00 there will be a panel talk and Q&A moment with the label owners, the composers of Bullhead, Cargo and Callboys, and the creators of Albatros. New releases will be announced!
Rights & Royalties in Game Music
Guests: Alex Wintory, more TBC
Wednesday 20 October - 14:00 - Kinepolis
The arrangement about remuneration and author's rights between game developers and composers is often a point of contention. In this panel talk, our guests will examine some current practices and search for a way to strengthen the ties between composes and developers. Moderated by Youri Loedts (VAF).
InMICS Composers Lab
Thursday 21 October - 14:30 - Kinepolis
At Film Fest Ghent, the InMICS students and teachers gather with professionals, press and film music fans. The students talk freely about their experiences during the Composers Lab, their work and their future in the industry. Through the InMICS Composers Lab these young composers challenge themselves to find their own voices and to reflect on the ever-evolving industry. For them, it’s an opportunity to network and to share their ideas on music for audio-visual productions.
Panel Talk: Clara Sola
Guests: Ruben De Gheselle, Nathalie Álvarez Mesén & Marie-Hélène Dozo
Friday 22.10 - 13:15 - Kinepolis 8
Composer Ruben De Gheselle, film editor Marie-Hélène Dozo and director Nathalie Álvarez Mesén talk about their new film, Clara Sola, which will be screened at Film Fest Gent.
Panel Talk with WSA Nominees: Standing out as an artist in the contemporary film music industry
Guests: WSA Nominees Benji Merrison, Gavin Brivik, more TBC
Saturday 23 October - 14:30 - Opera Gent
Panel Talk with WSA Nominees
Guests: WSA Nominees TBC
Saturday 23 October - 15:30 - Opera Gent
Past Panel Talks & Masterclasses
- Exclusively for the WSA, five-time winner of the Film Composer of the Year Award Alexandre Desplat sat down with Matt Mueller of Screen International to talk about his many creative collaborations.
- For the occasion of the 20th anniversary of the World Soundtrack Awards, FFG music director Dirk Brossé spoke with guest of honour Alexandre Desplat and Lifetime Achievement Award recipient Gabriel Yared about how they approach composing for screen, their writing process and where they get their inspiration from.
- To discuss the issue of diversity in composing for screen, the WSA has recorded an online panel talk on Composer Diversity. Michael Abels (2019 Discovery of the Year), Lolita Ritmanis (2020 WSA nominee for Public Choice) and WSAcademy members Diego Baldenweg with Nora Baldenweg & Lionel Baldenweg and Nainita Desai get into an interesting conversation, moderated by Milena Fessmann.
- Showcase by SPITFIRE AUDIO
- Introduction on IMMERSIVE SOUND by Auro Technologies
- 'Who's Who in the International Film (music) Industry' by Lucy Bright (MUSIC SALES)
- Masterclass 'Orchestration & building your own sound ID' by composer Florencia di Concilio
- 'What's publicity and how should one take advantage of it?' by publicist Chandler Poling (WHITE BEAR PR)
- Panel discussion about ‘The Reality of Rejected Scores’ with Robert Townson (Varèse Sarabande), moderated by Vasco Hexel
- A conversation on 'The Craft of Music Supervision' in association with the UK & European Guild of Music Supervisors with music supervisors Amelia Hartley (Peaky Blinders & Black Mirror), Catherine Grieves (You Were Never Really Here; London Spy; Les Misérables) and Lucy Bright (Assassin's Creed; Marjorie Prime), moderated by Air Edel's Maggie Rodford
- A masterclass on ‘Scoring for New (interactive) Media’ with amongst others video game composers Joe Henson & Alexis Smith aka 'The Flight' (Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey) and Brian D'Oliveira (Resident Evil 7 & Shadow of the Tomb Raider) moderated by François-Xavier Dupas from the Music Faculty at the Montreal University
- A panel on the ‘Work Flow between filmmaker, composer and editor' with Alain Dessauvage (editor Girl & Bullhead) moderated by musician Oliver Patrice Weder