Panel Talks & Masterclasses
Our annual WSA industry programme consists of several panel talks and masterclasses, bringing together the film music community for interesting conversations and to discuss hot topics related to composing for screen.
Past Panel Talks & Masterclasses
- Music and Sound Design in Games by Alex Otterlei
- Entering the Film Music Marketplace by Lesley Jackson
- How a Business Frustrates Its Creatives by Stephan Eicke
- Launch: Belgian Soundtracks on vinyl (Pool Needle and Sonhouse Records)
- Rights & Royalties in Game Music. With Wim Coryn (Wild Cherry Consult), Pablo Schwilden Diaz (Demute), Olivier Maeterlinck & David Hutsebaut (Sabam), Alex Otterlei (DAE Howest), Austin Wintory
- InMICS Composers Lab. With Samya Papasoff, Filip Rathé, Görkem Ağar, Yi-Jia Chen, Sandro Manzon
- Sketching with Music: Clara Sola. With Ruben De Gheselle & Natalie Álvarez Mesén
- Panel Talks with WSA Nominees: Standing out as an artist in the contemporary film music industry. Guests: WSA Nominees Susan DiBona & Salvatore Sangiovanni (Bad Habits Die Hard), Benji Merrison (SAS: Red Notice), Amelia Warner (Wild Mountain Thyme), Gavin Brivik (Wild Indian), Florencia Di Concilio (Calamity, une enfance de Martha Jane Cannary), Anthony Willis (Promising Young Woman), Carlos Rafael Rivera (The Queen's Gambit), Emile Mosseri (Minari)
- Exclusively for the WSA, five-time winner of the Film Composer of the Year Award Alexandre Desplat sat down with Matt Mueller of Screen International to talk about his many creative collaborations.
- For the occasion of the 20th anniversary of the World Soundtrack Awards, FFG music director Dirk Brossé spoke with guest of honour Alexandre Desplat and Lifetime Achievement Award recipient Gabriel Yared about how they approach composing for screen, their writing process and where they get their inspiration from.
- To discuss the issue of diversity in composing for screen, the WSA has recorded an online panel talk on Composer Diversity. Michael Abels (2019 Discovery of the Year), Lolita Ritmanis (2020 WSA nominee for Public Choice) and WSAcademy members Diego Baldenweg with Nora Baldenweg & Lionel Baldenweg and Nainita Desai get into an interesting conversation, moderated by Milena Fessmann.
- Showcase by SPITFIRE AUDIO
- Introduction on IMMERSIVE SOUND by Auro Technologies
- 'Who's Who in the International Film (music) Industry' by Lucy Bright (MUSIC SALES)
- Masterclass 'Orchestration & building your own sound ID' by composer Florencia di Concilio
- 'What's publicity and how should one take advantage of it?' by publicist Chandler Poling (WHITE BEAR PR)
- Panel discussion about ‘The Reality of Rejected Scores’ with Robert Townson (Varèse Sarabande), moderated by Vasco Hexel
- A conversation on 'The Craft of Music Supervision' in association with the UK & European Guild of Music Supervisors with music supervisors Amelia Hartley (Peaky Blinders & Black Mirror), Catherine Grieves (You Were Never Really Here; London Spy; Les Misérables) and Lucy Bright (Assassin's Creed; Marjorie Prime), moderated by Air Edel's Maggie Rodford
- A masterclass on ‘Scoring for New (interactive) Media’ with amongst others video game composers Joe Henson & Alexis Smith aka 'The Flight' (Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey) and Brian D'Oliveira (Resident Evil 7 & Shadow of the Tomb Raider) moderated by François-Xavier Dupas from the Music Faculty at the Montreal University
- A panel on the ‘Work Flow between filmmaker, composer and editor' with Alain Dessauvage (editor Girl & Bullhead) moderated by musician Oliver Patrice Weder
Subscribe to our industry newsletter
Are you a film music professional and do you want to stay up to date with festival news, submission & awards and our WSA industry programme?