Share this project
Where students and professionals meet
Film Fest Gent and KASK - School of Arts Gent coordinate the Film Music & Sound Seminar, an annual event for students in film, (film) music and sound design about the artistic collaboration between filmmaker, composer and/or sound designer.
Due to the evolving coronary pandemic we are forced to cancel this Film Music & Sound Seminar. We would like to refer you to our adapted film music programme of the WSA Industry Days.
At the Film Music Seminar of the 47th edition of Film Fest Ghent, students have the unique opportunity to learn from a distinguished master in the world of film music, Gabriel Yared. During an extensive conversation with curator Dr. Martine Huvenne, the French-Lebanese composer, who will also receive the Lifetime Achievement Award at the World Soundtrack Awards this year, will provide insights into his methodics and artistic practices for the silver screen. Yared is an Oscar-winning composer who has built an impressive oeuvre during his decades-spanning career.
How does Gabriel Yared compose music for films? What are the differences between his various collaborations such as those with Jean-Luc Godard, Jean-Jacques Annaud, Robert Altman, Xavier Dolan and the late Anthony Minghella? Why is it necessary to be involved from the very beginning of a project? And why does Gabriel Yared prefer to begin his composing work after reading the script and discussing with the director, and then later with the picture? And so many other topics to discuss!
Tickets for the Seminar can be purchased here.
The Seminar will be free of charge for festival accredited persons, subject to reservation and registration. Request your accreditation here.
Are you a film music professional and do you want to connect with other industry members? Then you can take the opportunity to join us in Ghent and experience the WSAwards and the WSA industry programme in a unique way via our Industry Packages.
- 2019: Music for Film with Marco Beltrami
- 2018: Sound mixing and editing with Carter Burwell & Skip Lievsay
- 2017: Jazz music in film with David Shire, Walter Murch, Joe Kraemer & Terence Blanchard
- 2016: Music for Film / TV / Documentary with Jeff Beal, Jeff Russo, Ryuichi Sakamoto, Johan Grimonprez & Karsten Fundal
- 2015: British Film Music: George Fenton, Craig Armstrong, Daniel Pemberton
- 2014: French Film Music: Thierry Jousse & Bruno Coulais
- 2013: Music for Films: team work? with Dirk Brossé, Rachel Portman & Dario Marianelli
- 2012: Sound Design with Michel Schöpping
- 2011: Sound Design and Editing with Walter Murch
- 2010: Collaboration between composer & filmmaker: Stephen Warbeck
- 2009: Composing for Asian Cinema with Shigeru Umebayashi
- 2008: An audiovisual symbiosis: Gabriel Yared & Anthony Minghella
- 2007: Relation between film music & sound: Mychael Danna, Steve Munro & Annabelle Pangborn
- 2006: Film Music & Emotion? Willem Thijssen, Simon Lenski, Frank Duchêne, Johan Hoogewijs, Tom Kestens& Geoffrey Enthoven
- 2005: Music or no music? Larry Sider, Mart Van den Burken, Eavesdropper, Michael Weilacher, Silvia Defrance, Hans Spilaert, Frodo Kuipers