Through the World Soundtrack Award category Discovery of the Year, the World Soundtrack Academy honours emerging talents in film scoring. Among past winners of the award are celebrated composers Craig Armstrong, Michael Giacchino, Daniel Pemberton, Nicholas Britell, Tamar-kali and Michael Abels. Traditionally, the Discovery of the Year honouree is invited to return to Film Fest Ghent the following year to present the winning score at the World Soundtrack Awards Concert.
Original score for a motion picture:
- used in a feature-length fiction film (no documentaries, short films or TV series);
- with a world premiere in a commercial cinema theatre or as part of the official selection at one of the film festivals accredited by FIAPF, Sundance Film Festival or Tribeca Film Festival;
- screened in world premiere between 1 July 2019 and 15 June 2020.
COVID-19 rule change:
- Scores for motion pictures will also be eligible if the film’s theatrical release or screening at one of the selected festivals is replaced by a release online or on a streaming platform. This rule applies to film releases from 15 March 2020 onwards.
- who has scored maximum five feature-length fiction films with a commercial theatrical release in at least two countries, up to and including the motion picture in question for which the submitted score has been composed (documentaries, short films and TV series do not count);
- who has not previously won the Discovery of the Year WSAward;
- who was previously nominated maximum one time in this category.
How to submit your score?
- You can submit your score via the online application tool below.
- An administrative submission fee of 35 EUR will be required for processing and consulting costs. From 1 June onwards the fee will be 45 EUR. This fee is non-refundable.
- You can only submit one original score per year. In case there are multiple eligible scores during the qualifying period, you can choose what score to submit for consideration.
- Only submitted scores will be taken into consideration for the Discovery of the Year WSAward.
- Submissions must include links to the complete score and to the screener. For more information, see the submission tool.
- Please send 5 CDs containing the complete score (or if applicable the For Your Consideration promo or the soundtrack album) before 15 June to:
Film Fest Gent, attn: Thomas Van Parys, Leeuwstraat 40B, 9000 Gent, Belgium.
- Deadline: 15 June 2020. Registration and payment should be completed by 15 June. Scores submitted after the deadline will not be accepted and incomplete submissions will be disqualified.
Please read the WSA Rule Book (see below) before submitting your score. Should you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. The nominations will be announced around mid-September.World Soundtrack Awards Rule Book Discovery of the Year winners