Missed Ryuichi Sakamoto's enchanting performance at the World Soundtrack Awards? Or want to relive this great moment? Thanks to buteo buteo, N.E.W.S. Records, Silva Screen Records and of course our crowd funding backers you can listen to Sakamoto's 'Music for Film' right from your very home.
Ryuichi Sakamoto's famous film music was recorded at Flagey, performed by Brussels Philharmonic and conducted by Dirk Brossé. The recordings include tracks from 'Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence' and 'The Revenant'.
Academy Award winner Ryuichi Sakamoto was already a celebrated rock-pop composer, pianist and singer in Japan when he conquered the international film scene in 1983 with his score for Nagisa Ôshima's 'Merry Christmas Mr.Lawrence', a film in which he also starred alongside David Bowie. Ever since, his work for leading Japanese and international directors (Bernardo Bertolucci, Brian De Palma, Pedro Almodóvar, Volker Schlöndorff) revealed him as one of the most inventive film composers of our time.
He conceived a unique approach of composing for these movies: a blend of splendid melodies, synthesizer work, traditional orchestral music, drum tracks, sound effects and unusual musical colors. Out of the striking contrasts of musical styles and cultures, he created outstanding scores that will never stop to fascinate and enchant us.
This unique compilation album was launched during the 43rd Film Fest Gent and the 16th World Soundtrack Awards on 19 October, where Sakamoto received the Lifetime Achievement Award. Silva Screen released worldwide on 28 October.
You can buy the vinyl (limited edition), cd or digital download at N.E.W.S (Belgian distribution only), Silva Screen Records (world wide distribution) or the Film Fest Gent Webshop (cd only)
1. Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence 'Main Theme' (05’40”)
2. The Last Emperor 'Endroll' (06’31”)
3. The Last Emperor 'Rain' (03’50”)
4. The Sheltering Sky 'Main Theme' (05’43”)
5. High Heels 'Main Theme' (03’06”)
6. Wild Palms 'Main Theme' (02’46”)
7. Little Buddha 'Acceptance' (8’53”)
8. Snake Eyes 'Main Theme (long version)' (04’47”)
9. Femme Fatale 'Bolerisch' (04’51”)
10. Babel 'Bibo No Aozora' (05’20”)
11. Hara-Kiri (Ichimei) 'Small Hope' (04’30”)
12. Yae No Sakura 'Opening Theme' (02’46”)
13. The Revenant 'Main Theme' (02’42”)