With the creation of the World Soundtrack Academy in 2001 the Ghent International Film Festival wants to oversee the educational, cultural, professional and promotional aspects involved in the art of film music and soundtracks.
By establishing a yearly Award show, the Academy is honouring an important aspect of motion pictures: the music. Composers can get nominated in different categories, ranging from Best Film Composer of the Year over the Lifetime Achievement Award to the Public Choice Award. These significant awards will be granted during the World Soundtrack Awards Gala & Concert, a night that also includes performances by winners & special guests live performed by Brussels Philharmonic conducted by maestro Dirk Brossé.
The Academy actively contributes to the study of this form of art organising Film Music Seminars, workshops, master classes, a yearly composition contest and industry activities. Together with Film Fest Gent, the World Soundtrack Academy also develops initiatives that are aimed at offering a strong platform to both emerging film music talent in Europe (InMics, EPAS) and established composers through the organisation of concerts with their music and a yearly compilation album.
Over the years, the World Soundtrack Academy has quickly evolved to major institution and now unites more than 400 international (film) music professionals and composers aiming to promote their unique sector. With the help of their support the World Soundtrack Acadamy and its initiatives became an import platform and an important international network for the film music industry.
Benefits of World Soundtrack Academy Membership
- Membership fees support the work of the World Soundtrack Academy. Thanks to your support we can extend our activities in order to support the international film music sector
- As a voting member you can vote for the world’s most important film music awards: WSAward of Best Film Composer of the Year, WSAward of Best TV Composer of the Year and WSAward for Best Original Song written directly for a Film.
- As a voting member you receive an additional discount of 100 EUR on our Music Industry Packages during the annual Film Fest Gent
- As a voting member you have access to an international network of Film and Music Professionals and you will be mentioned on our website as a WSA Member.
- A regular newsletter will inform you about the latest news within the international film music sector and will highlight updates about our members.
How to become a member?
Voting Membership is open to film music composers and to executives active in the film music business, such as agents, managers, producers, publicists, etc. by completing the application form at the end of this page and by paying a yearly membership fee:
- 150 EUR (Excl. VAT) for Film Music Professionals
- 100 EUR (Excl. VAT for Composers
All candidate members should supply a full biography that proves their active involvement in the film music profession, i.e. as a film composer or film music executive.
Alternatively, the status of Voting Member is also automatically given to all WSA Nominees and Winners. Membership for WSA Nominees and Winners is free during the first two voting years after their nomination.
The WSA accepts new voting member applications from March 15 until June 15 each year.
For more information about WSA voting memberships please contact email@example.com