The World Soundtrack Awards are awarded annually to mark and celebrate outstanding achievements in scoring music for motion pictures and to honour other achievements and composers as provided for in the rules and approved by the advisory board of the organizing body, the World Soundtrack Academy.
FILM COMPOSER OF THE YEAR
- Bruno Coulais 'Song of the Sea', 'Gemma Bovary', '3 hearts' ('3 Coeurs'), 'Mune le guardien de la lune', 'Diary of a Chambermaid' ('Journal d’une femme de chambre'), 'Fly Away Solo'
- Alexandre Desplat 'Unbroken', 'The Imitation Game', 'Everything Will Be Fine', 'Tale of Tales'
- Michael Giacchino 'Dawn of the Planet of the Apes', 'Inside Out', 'Jupiter Ascending', 'Jurassic World', 'Tomorrowland'
- Johann Johannsson 'The Theory of Everything', 'The 11th Hour', 'Sicario'
- Hans Zimmer 'Interstellar', 'Chappie'
BEST ORIGINAL FILM SCORE OF THE YEAR
- 'Birdman: Or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)' by Antonio Sanchez
- 'Cinderella' by Patrick Doyle
- 'The Imitation Game' by Alexandre Desplat
- 'Interstellar' by Hans Zimmer
- 'The Theory of Everything' by Johann Johannsson
BEST ORIGINAL SONG WRITTEN FOR A FILM
- The Apology Song from 'The Book of Life'
Music by Gustavo Santaolalla, lyrics by Paul Williams, performed by Diego Luna
- Carry Me Home from 'Insurgent'
Music & lyrics by Joseph Trapanese & Christopher Taylor, performed by SOHN
- Glory from 'Selma'
Music & lyrics by John Legend, Common and Rhymefest performed by Common & Legend
- Grateful from 'Beyond the Lights'
Music & lyrics by Diane Warren, performed by Rita Ora
- Tell Me from 'Lost River'
Music & lyrics by Johnny Jewel, performed by Saoirse Ronan
DISCOVERY OF THE YEAR
The Discovery of the Year Award is aimed at encouraging emerging talent, who have scored not more than six feature films in total that were released in theatres. Besides receiving the award, the winner will perform at the 16th WSAwards in 2016. The nominees for Discovery of 2015 are:
- Alex Ebert (Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros) for ‘A Most Violent Year’
- Dominic Lewis for ‘Spooks: The Greater Good’
- Antonio Sanchez for ‘Birdman’
- Ben Salisbury & Geoff Barrow (Portishead) for ‘Ex Machina’
- Zhiyi Wang for ‘But Always’ & ‘Highway of Love’
SABAM AWARD FOR BEST YOUNG COMPOSER
Each year young film music talent is given the chance to receive the SABAM Award For Best Young Composer. The candidates were instructed to compose music for a scene of ‘The Third Man’ (1949) by Carol Reed, in the context of FFGent’s British focus this year. The winner receives the SABAM Award (with a value of €2.500) and follows in the footsteps of composer Cyril Molesti, winner of 2014. The professional jury consists of Patrick Duynslaegher (Artistic Director FFGent), Dirk Brossé (composer, conductor and Music Director FFGent), composer Michel Herr, Stefan Rycken (manager ACE Image Factory), Hans Helewaut (Managing director SABAM) and director Adil El Arbi. They chose 3 candidates:
- Maxime Hervé (Canada)
- Peer Kleinschmidt (Germany)
- Roman Falkenstein (Latvia)
PUBLIC CHOICE AWARD
At 15th edition of the World Soundtrack Awards, the winner of the Public Choice Award will be announced. These are the 5 scores that were most voted for by the public.
- ‘A Little Chaos’ by Peter Gregson
- ‘Ex Machina’ by Ben Salisbury & Geoff Barrow
- ‘Far From Men’ by Warren Ellis & Nick Cave
- ‘The Maze Runner’ by John Paesano
- ‘Timbuktu’ by Amine Bouhafa
15TH WORLD SOUNDTRACK AWARDS 2015
The World Soundtrack Awards celebrated its 15th anniversary with Alan Silvestri (‘Back to the Future’, ‘Who Framed Roger Rabbit’ and ‘Forrest Gump’), Lifetime Achievement Award Winner Patrick Doyle and Discovery 2014 Daniel Pemberton. Film Fest Gent also released an album with the best scores of Silvestri, recorded at Flagey Studios in Brussels by Galaxy Studios. Conducted Dirk Brossé and performed by Brussels Philharmonic & Flemish Radio Choir.
16TH WORLD SOUNDTRACK AWARDS 2016
The 16th edition of the World Soundtrack Awards takes place in a new venue: Capitole, Ghent. The award ceremony and concert will be held on October 19th during the World Soundtrack Awards Gala. An additional WSA Concert will be held on the 20th of October (without ceremony).
- v pdf